Have you ever wondered why sugar is so addictive and why we crave sugar? Just like cocaine and heroin, sugar and palatable foods stimulate the same regions of the brain that triggers the flow of dopamine and serotonin. These neurotransmitters make a person feel relaxed, calm, and happy. However, in both cases of cocaine and sugar, euphoria is short-lived and the brain craves more to achieve the desired effect. It is essential to know that sometimes, intense emotions, hormonal imbalance, irregular meal timings, dehydration, and sleep deprivation can also make us crave sugar.
A diet low in calcium, magnesium, zinc, and chromium is also associated with sugar cravings. Balanced regular meals are strongly encouraged not just for physical, but also for our mental health. A diet rich in sugar and fat is linked with cellular inflammation that can lead to depression, anxiety disorders, dementia, and alzheimer's disease.
The following are some of the tips that are strongly encouraged to maintain a healthy lifestyle
. ● Avoid imbalanced meals or meal timings. Speak to your dietitian to customize a meal plan that is just right for you.
● Read your nutrition labels, try not to incorporate foods that contain sugar in the first five ingredients.
● Be aware! There are over 50 names of sugar so don't get tricked. Some of the common names are glucose, galactose, grape sugar, treacle sugar, sucanat, turbinado sugar, maltodextrin, corn syrup, coconut sugar, and caramel,
● Gradually make changes in your diet to cut back on processed carbohydrates and sugar such as using grilled pineapple or mushroom with beef or chicken patties to avoid bread, buns, pasta, and rolls. Homemade jams with chia seeds can be a good replacement for store bought sugary jam and jellies. Preparing healthy meals at home is not time consuming. Stay tuned to IP’s Instagram for fun homemade healthy recipes.
● Make popsicles with sugar free drinks such as vitamin water or infused water.
● Try crackers with fruits and plant based cheese or ricotta cheese to replace cheesecake or desserts.
Hope you find this information helpful! Stay tuned for more health information and healthy recipes.
Recipe to cut back sugar and incorporate fruits in your diet. Preparation time: 2 minutes. Peel and cut banana into bite size pieces and freeze until they are firm. Drizzle some dark chocolate with coconut flakes and Enjoy